HHWMH Logo

High Wych Memorial Hall

Registered Charity No: 302395
Home
Hall Facilities
200 Club
Hire the Hall
Clubs and Classes
History and Archive
Contact Us


NEW
Memory
Box
1922
to
1939
The
War Years
1946
to
1970
1950's
Youth
 1965 
1970
to
1974
 1977 

1970 - 1974
(From an original article by Theo van de Bilt, Official High Wych Historian)
The decision to renovate and improve the Hall, had an immediate knock-on effect. There were so many discussions about planning and the architectural and financial
 aspects of the renovations that full Committee meetings were now held monthly, with smaller meetings taking place in the weeks between.To further complicate matters of correspondence and communications, Braughing Rural District Council ceased to exist and High Wych now fell under the East Herts District Council!
Premature costings for the renovation printed in a local news sheet put the cost at 10,000 - needless to say the eventual cost was somewhat higher!
The winning tender for just Phase One of the work from Helmer and Dyer (local builders) came to 10,605 - the end cost coming out at nearly 20,000. East Herts District Council funded three-quarters of the total amount but this still left 5,000 to be raised locally. Michael Elsdon now led the Committee into a frenzy of fundraising.

CLICK HERE to view copies of the original proposed plans drawn up by
Bob Springham in the 1970's.

 
No further information has come to light for this period of the Hall's history so far!
If YOU have any stories or snippets of information to add, please get in contact with Ali Geller.